A Little Bit of Everything

One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11 which says "'For I know the plans I have for you,' delcares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" But the line, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans," also rings true. I'm so glad God is in control of my life because it means I don't have to be. Join me as I laugh, cry, and play my way through the daily tasks of raising three boys and trying to maintain some sense of order when it comes to my home.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Treasure Hunting

For those of you who were wondering what I found under the furniture the other day, don't worry, I made a list.  I figured it was too good not to share.  (interruption 1, see below)  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about (interruption 2) (interruption 3), I went on a treasure hunt in my living room this past week.

Here's how it started.  Rodney had a Daytona 500 party for his friends in man-town (the garage) but the kids were playing Wii and watching TV in the house.  Somehow, throughout the course of the day, several rounds of soda, juice, and snacks were spilled in various locations all over the main floor of the house.  We've all been there...just admit it.  So I got through Monday (Presidents Day-the kids had no school) sticking my way from one room to the next.  I've long since learned slippers, sneakers, and/or muck boots are a necessity in my house (thank goodness the whole place is tiled).

Tuesday finally rolls along and thankfully school vacation was cancelled due to all the snow days so off to school they go (interruption 4).  Now back to my treasure hunt.  The floor, as previously stated was horrendous but in order to vacuum and wash the floor, I had to find it first.  I picked up empty soda cans, clothing, (interruption 5) newspapers, etc. and hauled my shop vac up from the basement (there are no Swiffer level jobs in my house). 

When I lifted up the ottoman to clean underneath it, I was greeted with a surprisingly large collection of junk (considering the size of the ottoman). (Interruption 6)This list was posted on Facebook:  jar of peanut butter, a week-old newspaper, 2 Lego's, a couple of Valentines, and a pencil.  (Interruption 7) Deep breath....continue and see what could possibly be hiding under the chair.  It wasn't as bad as I thought:  the arm rest cover to the love seat, one deflated balloon, a grape stem, and one lone peanut (I think it might have been looking for the peanut butter jar when it got sidetracked at the grape stem...it happens a lot around here). 

I vacuumed the dust and proceeded to pull the love seat away from the wall.  Micah would have been ecstatic but he was at school.  One whole outfit was under there (don't tell Micah I'm airing his dirty laundry), the arm rest cover to the chair (I can't quite figure out how they switched places), 2 Tech Decks, a crayon, a pair of 3-D glasses, and the sheet of heart shaped stickers that went missing as soon as the box of Valentines was opened.  Oh yeah, and a bucket worth of dust, candy wrappers, popped balloon pieces, etc.

(Interruption 8)
Moving on....the couch was hiding one slipper, one sock, one glove, a moustache comb, a tire from one of the matchbox cars, the little red bear from Don't Break the Ice, one penny, a very squished and shriveled grape (it ran away from the grape stem when the peanut came between them), an enormous rock, and the picture frame that has taken up residence (it almost has squatters rights) in order to avoid getting broken.  Careful examination revealed a sticky substance of unknown origin which didn't respond to my vinegar treatment and seemed to be eating through the grout.  Perhaps it was caramel corn ground in by the process of dragging the couch across the living room?

Needless to say, after four hours of picking up and vacuuming the floor, it was time to make lunch (dinner) and get Micah off the bus.  (Interruption 9) The floor never did get washed that day.

Maybe this week.........


All interruptions occurred during the creation of this post.

1.  Must go open garage for Micah
2.  Micah screaming from garage.  He got what he needed now I can close the door.
3.  Phone ringing.  Brother-in-law looking for my husband's mechanical advice
4.  Russell comes in to ask what I am doing
5.  Go tell Nevin and Micah to leave the quad in the garage (which apparently the opened again)
6.  Have to get a fire going to get the kids warmed up from being outside (we heat with wood)
7.  Nevin, "Mom, look at this" (and this, and this, and this....)
8.  Micah needs an empty laundry basket so he can be helpful by doing a load of laundry
9.  Getting the detergent and fabric softener loaded into the machine for the new load of laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment