A Little Bit of Everything

One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11 which says "'For I know the plans I have for you,' delcares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" But the line, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans," also rings true. I'm so glad God is in control of my life because it means I don't have to be. Join me as I laugh, cry, and play my way through the daily tasks of raising three boys and trying to maintain some sense of order when it comes to my home.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Creativity in the Corners of Life

During seasons such as these (snowy, cold, wet, and otherwise dreary), I'm extremely thankful we haven't been able to finish our basement.  The cement floor and lolly columns have provided endless sources of entertainment for my three monkeys over the last five years.

We built our house in 2005 and moved in during December.  Nevin was 5 at the time and Russell was 3 1/2.  As Rodney likes to say, Micah wasn't even a twinkle in his daddy's eye.  The first winter was spent with a virtually empty basement since we had just moved from a trailer and had very little stuff to fill up the space.  By empty, I mean it wasn't full of junk yet.  The oil tank, furnace, woodstove, washer and dryer, and stack of wood lined the room but the center was wide open for play.

Tricycles, Tonka trucks, t-ball, and an exercise trampoline were essential instruments to making the best use of the space.  Over the years, we added bicycles, basketball, air hockey, a futon, and boxes, bags, and racks of stuff.  Forts were built with stacks of boxes and old sheets, blankets, and pillows.  Tents were pitched, and derby cars were constructed. 

Now, we're back to square one.  The basketball hoop proved too large for the space, the futon became to worn and smelly from years of pet abuse, and the air hockey table fell apart.  The trampoline now has holes in it but still makes for a great fort wall so we've kept it.  The boxes and bags have grown and shrunk in numbers but shelves have been built to accomodate them. 

A rug that once graced our living room has been repurposed to protect little (and big) knees while playing Matchbox cars and Geo Trax.  It gets rolled up and stood in the corner to make room for the scooters and the one remaining tricycle.  Outdoor voices are almost always OK in our basement.  It's our little indoor playground. 

At one point I had hoped to finish the basement and make it a rec room for my busy little boys but slow seeping water each spring prevented that dream from becoming a reality.  In retrospect, it's been so much better this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment